Sunday 22 November 2015

THE "TOWN-IGBORO" FRONT MIRROR PHENOMENOM

This is OAU, the ‘oba’ of all Universities. And I am here standing in Anglo-moz waiting for the next town-igboro bus, and just before someone starts getting ideas, I am an Awoite and I only have to get to town ‘sharpaly’.
I wait for a while before I see a bus approach, sliding down the road down PG, it turns the bend that leads into the anglo-moz car-park, stops and then people begin to drop off: Angola, Moz, Awo, and then I motion to step into the bus.
But then an Angolan who don’t even care about how many ‘strikes’{internal, external, ASUU and NASU} i’ve been through on this Campus hijacks the front seat that I have been hoping all the while to get. But not only does he not get in, but he holds the door wide open for me. Now don’t get it all twisted and think that this was a kind gesture. Oh, Far from it.
I looked him straight in the eye, and prompted him to get in, he does not even move, and stares me back in the eye with such mean audacity that could only have a word equivalence of, ‘’are you getting in, or have you changed your mind? .
Let me jump in now before you even start taking sides,
You see on this here ‘ogba’, there is a phenomena I have recently observed whereby students often struggle to secure the front seat right next to the mirror, that one right next to the door opposite the driver’s, This phenomena i have termed the ‘town-igboro front mirror phenomenon.
I don’t exactly know why, but I had an explanation of why this phenomenon occurred which was that sitting in the front seat close to the mirror affords you the luxury of taking a look at yourself time and time again in the mirror, and this time not in your room, but in a bus that was really moving.
And our Ladies are usually in the habit of doing this, but quite surprisingly, I have also caught a number of guys at several times in the act too, looking up themselves in the mirror, adjusting their face and making faces too. And of course, I myself have been guilty of doing this quite a number of times.
But I was not satisfied with the results of this observation, so i went around asking different people why they would rather sit close to the front door than sit next to the Driver in the front seat, and yes, a number of people corroborated my idea, saying they preferred the front seat due to the fact that they could take
a peek into the mirror, make funny faces, pout and even touch and retouch their make-up.
But I was shocked at another admission. Some students actually hold the door
wide open for another to enter into the inner seat just so they could enjoy the
view along the road.
Which view I ask them? No be gate dem they go ni?, I wonder what they still want to see o, the same thing they’ve been seeing over and over again; Alumni hall, Archi, Moremi, Faj, Bus-stop, Sport-complex, UBA, GT, the green trees before school gate, and then the school gate. Alright.
The last group of people I met with were those who claimed their reason for using the front seat close to the door is simply because of comfort.
Someone also added fresh air to the list. Okay.Usually in this arrangement, the person who gets to the door first determines who gets to sit where, the inner seat or the seat next to the mirror, usually
depending on the mood, personality and motive of the person. But I am thinking maybe there are more perspectives to why people prefer the front seat close to the door as opposed to the seat closer to the driver. Maybe I should ask you.
Why do you open the door for another to get into the inner seat of the townigboro bus, just so you can have the seat closer to the door and the front mirror?
Oya discuss. 5 minutes and your time starts now.
                                                                                                                                          Captain Luke.

4 comments:

  1. We sit there simple for safety reasons, for in case of a robbery or accident; one can easily alite unlike the other ''land locked'' seats

    ReplyDelete
  2. Am guilty of this too oooo...but it's just for the comfort sha, as for me. I hate the drivers looking for their Gear with my thigh...and some the seat beside the driver in the front is not always good....lol

    ReplyDelete