Sunday 22 November 2015

A REVIEW OF ADELE’S HELLO AND IT’’S NIGERIAN COVERS


I don’t know which is more depressing – randomly calling an ex to dissect your failed relationship or the ease with which Adele makes the rest in the game sound like a broken piano. Her ability to get out the deepest part of our emotions in a single track makes me see her as a musical sorcerer. The single is to introduce her 3rd studio album 25. After the success of her last album that rocked the “Grammy” with songs like “someone like you” , “ set fire in the rain” and  “ rolling in deep” , hello is like an appetizer to what her new album will sound like.
“Hello it’s me, I was wondering if after all these years you’d like to meet to go over everything,” the Grammy winner begins the ballad over simple piano keys. “They say that time’s supposed to heal you.” Adele looks for answers to familiar questions as the song progresses, which might come across as MOR to some, but strikes a chord with anyone messy or insecure enough to seek closure from someone who has already moved on.
It comes as something of a relief that Adele is still tortured. She’s the spirit animal of the emotionally bruised and I’m glad she’s back to spread more misery. “Hello” was worth the four-year wait.
Her lyrics in the song were poetic and painting a story no other artist could share better. The producer which such simple chords was able to produce a masterpiece and Adele’s vocals was a master match to the sound.
Rating: 9/10.



NIGERIAN COVERS

OMAWUNMI……
Same lyrics from the musical sensation that sees Adele’s hello as an opportunity to let Nigerian music lovers that childbirth has taken her vocals instead it has made it incredible. She was bold and commanding in her approach to the song and the reggae switch in the chorus showed how awesome and creative Omawunmi and her producer can be….it was nice seeing her adore and replicate good music.
Rating: 7.5/10.


PRAISE
When I heard praise was to cover  “hello” I screamed not because he isn’t an amazing artist because I wanted to see if he could get through the vocal barriers of d song without making the song loose its purpose and he did just that. Infused his personality into the music and it was a great shot from the one time project fame finalist
RATING: 6/10

NIYOLA.

Niyola stole my heart when I listened to her song “toh bad” thank God she gave me the chance to get it back from her and give it to Adele who truly deserves it. Though she is one of the recent Nigerian acts who jumped on the song “Hello” there was no goose bumps when I heard her version. She lost touch between the first verse and the chorus causing few seconds of dryness before the chorus sprang up. She sounded like a Nigerian version of celine deon in this one and made it her thing but I saw less of the niyola factor in the vocals she was too busy trying to sound like someone else than sounding like Niyola. RATING: 5/10


  OLA DIPPS
Ola dipps turned me off from the very first second of the track and he took me to the island of boredom to slay me in this cover of his.. Believe me it’s not worth being called a cover at all. His rap lines could have been a hit track for another of his songs maybe his diss with dbanj or any other song but to cover hello? I wasn’t disappointed but I just got too much than I bargained for. Ola dipps don’t ever cover a classic. You can cover Gangnam style or windeck.
RATINGS: 2/10

VIRUZ ZAMORA
OAU’s sensation captivated me since his days of “TINA” .virus Zamora who has become one of the university’s great performers. His choice to jump on hello made me quickly pick up my mobile device to download the track. The level of autotune and effect from the producer showed a whole lot of immaturity in the business. Virus’s twist of the lyrics to fit a style he created for himself wasn’t close to impressive from such talented artist. I believe people have a bad day at work and this track was one from the upcoming musical sensation.
RATING: 3.5/10


Don_dave

4 comments: